Last updated March 2020
E1 No 109 ‘Strasbourg’
E1 No 100 ‘Calvados’
E1 No 135 ‘Foligno’
E2 no 102
The first of the 'E-tanks' designed by William Stroudley entered traffic in 1874. They were so successful that seventy-two were built during Stroudley's reign at Brighton, and a further six (to a slightly modified design) were built by his successor Robert Billinton. Strasbourg was built in 1877 and withdrawn in 1948.
All bar a few had continental names, which often caused problems for record clerks. Strasbourg is shown here in its as-built condition, with the Stroudley copper-capped chimney, condensing gear, and wooden brakes shoes, in the Stroudley 'goods green' livery.
An overall view of the chassis, showing the basic layout - Portescap driving on the centre axle (via modified MJT gearbox), sidebeam compensation for the front two axles, and centre bearing compensation for the rear driver.
The frame spacers are copper-clad paxolin, gapped in two places to insulate the frames from each other.
The coupling rods are milled from steel, and are jointed behind the centre axle.
A view from the underside of the trailing axle. The centre compensation bearing sits in a cradle attached to the frame spacer.
The front end, and the side compensation beams.