Added December 2017
Stroudley C class 0-6-0 goods tender engine
Stroudley C1 class 0-6-0 goods tender engine
Billinton C2 class 0-6-0 goods tender engine
The C-class 0-6-0 goods engines were Stroudley’s first ‘all new’ designs for the Brighton, the earlier Belgravia class having utilised frames ordered by his predecessor John Craven. The first two entered traffic in December 1871 as nos 84 and 85. Following a series of trials in 1872, and various modifications, a further 12 of these engines were ordered from Kitsons. These were much delayed, with the last eventually arriving at Brighton in 1874. In the meantime, a further six of the class were built at Brighton, entering traffic in 1873, giving a class total of 20 engines. Originally numbered 77 to 96, all were renumbered between 1880 and 1893 to 401 to 420.
Our model is of no 405, built at Brighton Works, in its 1872 modified version, with Salter’s safety valves, no steam brake, and a low-sided outside frame tender. It is an EB Models kit.
The first photo shows the loco coupled to its tender for the first time, awaiting the last few fittings to be added.