Locos
Locos
Home.
Layouts.
Locos.
Stock.
Track & signals.
Lineside.
Buildings.
Techniques.
Home.
Layouts.
Locos.
Track & signals.
Lineside.
Buildings.
Stock.
Techniques.
Chassis construction.
Loco index.
Body construction.
Weight distribution.
Last updated July 2018

Plumpton Green is now in an exhibitable state, and running reasonably well, with just occasional on-going improvements and new additions to scenery and buildings. All of my stock has now been tested on the layout although a few tweaks are required here and there to improve reliability,  and particularly to reduce derailments.

I spent the first few months of 2016 working on locos, trying to get them all fully finished and working, and having done that, the time seemed right to open some new boxes and start something new, and also finish a couple of half-completed projects.

The first of these is a High Level Models kit of a Black Hawthorn 0-4-0ST which I started a couple of years ago, and which for some reason got put on the shelf, whilst I worked on Plumpton. This has now been completed, and will take its place on the Plumpton Green Brickworks roster, with a first public outing at Burgess Hill MRS on September 2nd.

These High Level Models kits are such a delight to build that I’ve been lulled into buying yet another one - the Hawthorn-Leslie. This looks very ‘modern’ against the Neilson and Black-Hawthorn, but these were first built around the end of the 19th century, so very much within period. This is almost complete - just a few bits of pipe to add, plus the difficult bit, getting the cylinders and connecting rods in place and working.

Also on the work-bench are two more Terriers - ‘Stepney’ as an A1 in Stroudley IEG livery, and ‘Martello’ as an A1 in Marsh umber. Both these locos are now almost finished, with just a few final details to be added before painting.

The last is the completion of two goods tender 0-6-0’s, a C and a C1, both EB Models kits (aka Mike Waldron).  These are also almost complete, awaiting painting

The loco index leads to some photographs and descriptions of a few of my locos. Most of my locos are scratchbuilt, with the exception of the High Level kits, a white metal kit of an E1, two Wealden kits of E4s, and a kit of a G single from an un-named source which was so appallingly badly designed it had to be virtually scratchbuilt anyway! All the locos have handbuilt chassis, fully compensated, and with split-axle pick-up (with the exception of the HLModels locos, which have scrapers). Many were built originally with open frame motors (mostly Anchoridge D11's and D13's) but most have now been converted to Portescaps or Mashimas, with much improved running.